The home health aide is a paraprofessional member of the home care team who works under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or Therapist and performs various personal care services as necessary to meet the patient’s needs. The home health aide is responsible for observing patients, reporting these observations and documenting observations and care performed.
The home health aide will be assigned in a manner which promotes quality, continuity and safety of a patient’s care.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the home health aide include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing personal care including:
- Back rubs
- Oral hygiene
- Changing bed linen
- Assisting patients with dressing and undressing
- Skin care to prevent breakdown
- Assisting the patient with toileting activities
- Keeping patient’s living area clean and orderly, as appropriate
- Planning and preparing nutritious meals.
- Assisting in feeding the patient, if necessary.
- Taking and recording oral, rectal and axillary temperatures, pulse, respiration and blood pressure when ordered (with appropriate completed/demonstrated skills competency).
- Assisting in ambulation and exercise according to the plan of care.
- Performing range of motion and other simple procedures as an extensional therapy service as ordered (with appropriate completed/demonstrated skills competency).
- Doing patient’s laundry, as appropriate.
- Meeting safety needs of patients and using equipment safely and properly (foot stools, side rails, etc.).
- Reporting on patient’s condition and significant changes to the assigned nurse.
- Observes, reports, and documents any deviation from patient’s normal condition as soon as recognized.
- Records any injuries or accidents that occur on the patient’s home.
- Writes progress notes on the same day the visits are made.
- Modifies patient care based on individual needs.
- Priorities schedule and visits when meeting patients needs.
- Submits documentation and paperwork in a timely manner,
- Communicates verbally in clear and concise manner with patients/family and other team members.
- Writes legibly.
- Uses discretion and consideration
- Responds appropriately to suggestions for improvement.
- Seeks answers to enhance personal growth and development,
- Attends and participates in in-service programs.
- Is dependable and displays a positive attitude.
- Maintains an appropriate appearance.
|Job Category||Home Health Aide, Home Health Nurse, LVN, Physical Therapist, RN|